The other day I finally tried a recipe that has been on my mind for some time, namely quiche made the vegan way, using tofu rather than eggs to stabilize the filling.
I stuffed mine with greens – zucchini, olives, spinach and basil – but one can of course add whatever pie friendly vegetables of preference. To keep in mind though is avoid veg of a high water content (like no tomatoes kids), which may result in a very watery quiche.
→ 1 can of chickpeas
→ 3 tbsp oat flour
→ 1 tbsp coconut oil
→ 2 cloves of garlic
→ a handful basil leaves
→ salt + pepper
1. Start oven at 200°C.
(2. Crush the oats in a food processor until meal consistency)
3. Add garlic, basil and coconut oil with the salt and pepper, and crush before finally adding the chickpeas. Add in bits of water until desired consistency is reached.
4. Press the dough out in a pie dish. Leave to cool in the fridge for 10-20 minutes.
5. Pre-bake the crust for about 12 minutes.
Tofu + Zucchini filling
→ 1 block firm tofu (~395 grams)
→ 1-2 zucchinis
→ 1 yellow onion
→ 2-3 cloves garlic
→ 2 dl fresh spinach
→ 1 dl fresh basil
→ 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
→ olives/sun-dried tomatoes
→ 1 tsp dried oregano
→ chilli flakes, to taste
→ salt + pepper to taste
→ grated vegan cheese, optional
1. Drain the tofu of water; by wrapping it in a bunch of tea towels alternatively kitchen roll, and leave under a weight to gently press out the water while you prep the rest of the fillings.
2. Chop the onion and fry in a large skillet on medium heat until soft. Add in garlic and grated zucchini that has been gently squeezed from water.
3. Meanwhile, break the tofu and place in a food processor. Blend until a creamy paste has formed. If it does not turn creamy, add in some soy milk to help it along.
4.Stir in the nutritional yeast, spices, olives, tomatoes, spinach and basil. Cook until spinach has wilted.
5. Remove from heat and add in the creamed tofu. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
6. Spoon into baked crust and smooth out. I topped mine with thinly sliced zucchini and grated vegan cheese, but this is optional.
7. Lower oven temperature to 175°C and bake quiche for about 35 minutes. Leave to cool for about 15 minutes before attempting to slice.