Back home, one would only ever find the odd blackberries growing next to the road but not nearly enough to create an entire dish. Thus I have never in my life cooked/desserted (I’m Swedish, making up verbs is sort of our thing!) with blackberries.
But there’s a first time for everything and therefore extra exciting that the theme for this month’s Månadens Gröna was just blackberries. Initially, as with most berries, my mind sprung to desserts. But after wandering about pinterest for recipe inspiration and finding some (somewhat) local berries from Loch Ness this is what went down; pizza bianco with blackberries, basil and a mozarella/parmesan dairy-free cheese mix.
BLACKBERRY PIZZA BIANCO
→ pizza crust recipe of choice
→ 1 dl fresh blackberries
→ 1 tbsp olive oil
→ 3 dl cheese of choice, I used a vegan mozarella-parmesan mix from FollowYourHeart
→ 2 spring onions
→ fresh basil
→ salt + pepper, to taste
→ balsamic vinegar for sprinkle
1. Start by making your pizza crust. I made mine with baking soda and thus pre-cooked it for a bit before adding the toppings.
2. Mash the blackberries in a small bowl, then drain off most parts of the juice using a sieve. Brush the pizza crust with a thin layer of olive oil before adding the blackberry pulp.
3. Next sprinkle with cheese, spring onion and some whole blackberries. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown, on 225°C.
5. Top with fresh basil and balsamic glaze. Serve and enjoy!
And can we just talk about this dairy-free cheese mixture for a while — look at how nicely it has melted? B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l! Will definitely repurchase.
If you fancy a look at my previous contributions to Månadens Gröna you’ll find them here:
♥ Månadens Gröna: Rhubarb Mojitos | with Ginger Beer.
♥ Månadens Gröna: Strawberry & Avocado Salsa | with Quinoa, Roasted Black Bean & Sweet Potato Wraps.
♥ Månadens Gröna: Tomato Quiche | with Red Pesto.